Charles Rehmann was born on Saturday, March 25, 1826 in Thedinghousen, Luneberg National District, Lower Saxony, Brunswick, Germany. He was the son of Johann Carl and Margaretta (Oldenberg) Rehmann.

He immigrated from Germany with his family on the SS Louise Marie which landed in Philadelphia on May 16, 1851.

He married Mary Hanna Aldinger and they had twin children in 1853:

  1. Henry Rehmann

  2. Eliza Rehmann

On November 3, 1855, Charles petitioned for naturalization on 3 Nov 1855 in the Court of Quarter Sessions, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA.

In the 1860 census, he was listed as a farmer who owned $200 worth of personal property. By 1880, they were living in the Village of New Germany (now Egg Harbor City), Buena Vista Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey.

Charles died on August 8, 1892 at his home in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township, Atlantic County, NJ, aged 66 years. He was buried in the Zions Reformed Lutheran Church, Mays Landing Road, in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township, NJ.

Mary Hanna was born on November 18, 1819 in Wurttemberg, Germany. She died on March 1, 1895 in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township, Atlantic County, NJ, aged 79 years.

In the Rehmann Family many events since the mid-19th century have occurred at two churches located at 1341 Mays Landing Road in Folsom, New Jersey. (Some sources list the address being in Hammonton, NJ.) There can be some confusion since names of these churches are spelled in slightly different ways depending on the date or the document.

Starting in 1848, the original church was established as St Jacobus Lutheran Church to serve the local German immigrants. It was located on a 12 acre plot of land which included a cemetery.

In 1853, conflicts over theological issues caused a split in the congregation. The land was divided into two six acre sites and one was used to construct what is now St James Lutheran Church, originally St James Evangelical Church. Charles Rehmann (1826-1892) was on the St. James committee. A second facility called Zion Evangelical & Reformed Church was founded at that time. It is sometimes listed as Zion's or Zions.

About 1998 around the 150th anniversary of the original church, the two congregations reunited into St James Lutheran Church. The cemetery is often referred to by either name, St. James or Zion.