Elisabeth "Liese" (Rehmann) Kempker was born on November 12, 1823 in Braunshweig, Stadtkreis Braunschweig, Lower Saxony, Germany. She was the daughter of Johann Carl and Margaretta (Oldenberg) Rehmann.

Liese married Albert C. Kempker, Sr. and they had ten children:

  1. Christopher Kempker (1848-1876)

  2. Heinrich R. "Henry" Kempker (1851-1894)

  3. Sophia Marie (Kempker) Behm (1853-1927)

  4. Elizabeth (Kempker) Roller (1855-1952)

  5. Albert C. Kempker, Jr (1857-)

  6. Charles Kempker (1857-)

  7. Mary (Kempker) Freudenthal (1861-1921)

  8. Margaretha Johanna (Kempker) Hoffman (1863-)

  9. Wilhelm Heinrich "William" Kempker (1867-1950)

  10. Maria Emma (Kempker) Hile (1871-1943)

She emigrated from Germany with her family on the SS Louise Marie which landed in Philadelphia on May 16, 1851.

Elisabeth died on January 1, 1876 in Buena Vista Township, Atlantic County, New Jersey at the age of 52. She was buried in the Zions Reformed Lutheran Church, Mays Landing Road, in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township, NJ.

In the Rehmann Family many events since the mid-19th century have occurred at two churches located at 1341 Mays Landing Road in Folsom, New Jersey. (Some sources list the address being in Hammonton, NJ.) There can be some confusion since names of these churches are spelled in slightly different ways depending on the date or the document.

Starting in 1848, the original church was established as St Jacobus Lutheran Church to serve the local German immigrants. It was located on a 12 acre plot of land which included a cemetery.

In 1853, conflicts over theological issues caused a split in the congregation. The land was divided into two six acre sites and one was used to construct what is now St James Lutheran Church, originally St James Evangelical Church. Charles Rehmann (1826-1892) was on the St. James committee. A second facility called Zion Evangelical & Reformed Church was founded at that time. It is sometimes listed as Zion's or Zions.

About 1998 around the 150th anniversary of the original church, the two congregations reunited into St James Lutheran Church. The cemetery is often referred to by either name, St. James or Zion.