|
 Heinrich R. "Henry" Kempker was born on Friday,
January 10, 1851 in Braunshweig, Stadtkreis
Braunschweig, Lower Saxony, Germany. He was the son
of
Elizabeth "Liese" (Rehmann) and Albert Kempker.
On
Sunday, May 23, 1886 Henry married Emma Klauser at
St. James Lutheran Church, 1341 Mays Landing
Road, Folsom Borough, Buena Vista Township, Atlantic
County, NJ. Emma was born in February of 1860.
They had
7 children:
-
Albert C. Kempker
-
Christie C. Kempker
-
Male child (5 May 1887-6
May 1887)
-
Emma Kempker (April 1888-)
-
Annie M. Kempker (1890-12 May
1891)
-
Elisabet Kempker (24 Jul 1891-15 Jan
1895)
-
Francis Xavier Kempker, Sr (9
September 1893-)
Henry emigrated from Germany with his family on the
SS Louise Marie which landed in Philadelphia on May 16, 1851.
On the ships list, he was shown as R. Diedr Kempker.
In the 1880 census, the family was listed as living
at
524 Second St., Ward 11, Philadelphia,
Philadelphia County, PA. Also living there at the
time were Henry's first cousins,
Emma Doerfel,
Agnes I. Doerfel,
Amelia Doerfel,
Clara Doerfel,
Edward Doerfel and
Louis Doerfel. Henry was listed as employed as a
bartender.
On January 18, 1894, Henry died at the age of 43.
Emma passed away on February 22, 1916 at the age of
56. Henry was buried at
Zions Reformed Lutheran Church cemetery on Mays
Landing Road in Folsom Borough, Buena Vista
Township, NJ while Emma was laid to rest at
Greenmount Cemetery 4301 N. Front Street in
Philadelphia.
Prior to
her death in 1916, Emma and some of her children
lived with Klauser family relatives in Philadelphia. |
 |
|
 |
|
In
the Rehmann Family many events since the mid-19th century
have occurred at two churches located at 1341 Mays Landing
Road in Folsom, New Jersey. (Some sources list the address
being in Hammonton, NJ.) There can be some confusion since
names of these churches are spelled in slightly different
ways depending on the date or the document.
Starting in 1848, the
original church was established as St Jacobus Lutheran
Church to serve the local German immigrants. It was located
on a 12 acre plot of land which included a cemetery.
In 1853, conflicts over
theological issues caused a split in the congregation. The
land was divided into two six acre sites and one was used to
construct what is now St James Lutheran Church, originally
St James Evangelical Church.
Charles Rehmann (1826-1892) was on the St. James
committee. A second facility called Zion
Evangelical & Reformed Church was founded at that time. It
is sometimes listed as Zion's or Zions.
About 1998 around the 150th
anniversary of the original church, the two congregations
reunited into St James Lutheran Church. The cemetery is
often referred to by either name, St. James or Zion. |
|
|
 |
|